Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stair Redo

Starting 2012

Hating the carpet on your stairs.




My first project for 2012 was to take the carpet off my stairs.  I was so tired of lugging my vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs, with all the stains and spills.  Finally after the New Year and with all decoration put up.  I started taking the carpet off.





 
I then enlist my oldest son to help pull the carpet up.


 


 My WH (wonderful husband) and I removed all the brad nails and carpet tack strips, then we filled all the nail holes and sanded the stair treads down. 
We then stained every other stair tread, so we could still get up and down the stairs.  We primed and painted the risers.  Then polyed the stained stair treads.
 



We were also able to remove the spindles and repaint them also.  We also caulked around the stairs.




 


 I am now in love with my stairs.  !!!!  LUV LUV!!! Oh yeah, did I say I LOVE MY STAIRS!!!


8 comments:

  1. Wow! These look GREAT! I was thinking of redoing mine with brown paper bags, but this idea looks much simpler. I wonder what's under my carpet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you mean when you say redoing with brown paper bags? I'm pretty sure mine is just junk wood under my carpet so I can't just stain the treads I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyra Vega, There is a process you can use brown paper bags and glue to make a faux finish on floors or even stair treads. As for my stair treads, I simply removed the carpet, padding and all tacks and staples. Sanded down the treads and stained. They turned out wonderful. Good luck in whatever you try.

      Delete
  3. Hello, did you have to remove the stain on the left side of the first few steps in order for the new stain to match the virgin (untouched) wood? I am dealing with a similar situation and I don't know if I need to strip the stain or if i can just gel stain right over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara, Yes we did sand the stairs on the side down. I did remove the spindles that would come out and sand. We did not use stripper - just sanded. Hope that helps. Good luck on your project. Would love to see pictures.

      Delete
  4. What did you use to patch the nail holes? Wood putty has not taken stain very well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, our stairs have a crack on each side where they do not meet the walls. Some appear to be to large for caulk and I'm afraid it might look strange. Any ideas to solve this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - Sorry for the late response, but your questions did not show up until now. But I used stainable wood putty and it worked great for me. We also had space between the walls and even the steps. after all the staining and painting was done. We put a small bead of caulk around the steps. Then dipped our finger in water and smoothed down the caulk. For us - it worked like a charm. Hope this answered your questions.

      Delete