Monday, October 28, 2013

Something Old is New Again


These are our chairs that match our patio table.  We bought the set many years ago.  The chairs were made from a type of plastic caning.  Over time they have dry rotted and started to come apart.  


 
As you can see, we could not sit in the chairs any longer. 
The other week, John and I were working in the back yard cleaning up limbs. 
John said he was going to take them to the dump.  I immediately screamed NO!. 
The frames are still good.   But did not want to throw them away.  I had thought about trying to find the old fashion webbing, but could not find it anywhere.  Then I thought about the new mesh material. 
Then out of the blue, John said "Why don't you throw some wood on it."
I could not believe I had not thought of it.  So..... 
 
 
 
So we took off the old seats and washed down the chairs.
 

 
I used 1x3 for the seat and back.  I also used 1/4 x 2 inch carriage bolts with a hex nut on the back.  Also used a 5/16 drill bit to drill the holes through the wood and chair frame.  They used poly on the wood.
 

 
Now I just need a chair cushion.  I love the set now.

 

 
Whose ready for  a cookout?
 


1 comment:

  1. Great job. They look wonderful. I have some similar chairs that had woven cotton rope for seats. After replacing that for several years_ they would either mold or rot- I got the idea t too use plastic coated clothesline. Fabulous. We've only had to do it once-several years ago. They look great and are easy to clean using a brush and some bleach water. I love your kitchen to. Very warm and inviting. I'd love to see pics of the business side of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete