Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Glass Insulator Wall Sconces

 
I love glass insulators and just so happen my father-in-law is a retired lineman for Southern Bell (now AT&T) .
 
One afternoon, we were talking about when he used to climb the telephone polls for his job.  We then talked about the glass insulators.  I asked him if he had one or two that I could have.  Well, he brought me a bucket full.
 
I washed and cleaned them. 
 

Next I went out the my barn wood stash.

 
Using the barn wood, I attached a small piece of wood to the wall sconce.  I then used a clamp and screw and attached to an another piece of wood.  Then put the glass insulator upside down into the clamp and tighten the screw on the clamp.  Then put a tea light candle into the glass insulator.


I then used a mixture of vinegar and vegetable oil to bring out the natural color of the wood.  Then attached saw tooth hangers to the back of the wall sconce.
 




I love them.  My plan is to make several more for my sister-in-law and all the grandchildren.  As a little bit of history of their father and grandfather.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment